Mogadishu (Somalia): The death toll in the massive twin truck bombings in Somalia’s capital has mounted to 300, officials said.
At least 300 have been left wounded, and families scrambled to find missing relatives amid the rubble and in hospitals.
The death toll is expected to rise as emergency crews recover more bodies from burned cars and demolished buildings after the Saturday blasts.
Officials have termed the incident one of the deadliest attacks to hit the capital, Mogadishu, since an Islamist insurgency began in 2007, The New York Times reported.
While no group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far, reports say the Somalia government has blamed the al-Qaida-linked Al-Shabaab extremist group for the attack.
Speaking to the state-run radio station, Somalia’s information minister Abdirahman Omar said the blast was the largest the city had ever seen and “this is how merciless and brutal they are, and we have to unite against them.”
President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo condemned the attack and has declared three days of mourning in the country.
“Today’s horrific attack proves our enemy would stop at nothing to cause our people pain and suffering. Let’s unite against terror. We will observe three days of mourning for the innocent victims, flags will be flown at half-mast. Time to unite and pray together. Terror won’t win. I call on our citizens to come out, extend help, donate blood and comfort the bereaved. Let’s get through this together,” Farmajo said in a series of tweets. (ANI)